My Favorite Free Software
Last Modified: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 14:30:14 +0000 ; Created: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 03:00:31 +0000
- 7-Zip - Fastest archive program, smallest 7z archive, supports AES256 encryption
- Aria 2 - Nice alternative to wget and cross-platform compliant. Also supports download acceleration through splitting. I use aria2c -s 10 -j 10 -x 10 URL for my options.
- Crystal Disk Mark - Good for benchmarking drive performance in Windows. Good for both SSD and mechanical tests
- Eraser - Wipes free space on disk drives or securely deletes individual files. For USB/SSD the free space wipe works, but I'm not sure about single file deletes.
- Free Download Manager - Faster downloads with resume support. Works with Google Chrome too.
- Google Chrome - Standalone or offline installer
- Google System Tray - Notifies of new e-mails, calendar events, etc. Google Talk always ate up 100% CPU, Google Notifier never remembered my login. This one is much better and supports regular Google accounts and Google Apps accounts.
- HandBrake - Nice video format conversion software
- HxD - Hex editor
- ImDisk - GPLv2 Free Ram Disk that works in Windows 7 64-bit and many other Windows versions
- InfraRecorder - Create DVD/CD images and burn them
- iPhone Backup Extractor - by JihoSoft -- Only version 6.0.3 has free contact and SMS extraction. Version 7 changed to require payment for that feature :( You may have luck with old URL at http://www.jihosoft.com/itunes/itunes-backup-extractor-free.html
- http://www.offisync.com/ - Allows you to open Google Docs (and Google Apps) in Microsoft Office. It downloads and uploads automatically.
- md5deep - Hash program for Windows or Linux. Doesn't handle Windows long file paths well.
- Notepad++ - Useful text editor especially when you add the Hex editor plugin
- Plop Bootmanager - Allows you to boot from USB by using a CD or ISO
- PopMan - E-mail notification in system tray. Supports IMAP and is the only one I could get to work well.
- PuTTY - SSH client or raw COM port
- SDelete - A free tool from Microsoft that is useful for zero filling free space. Very useful for preparing to shrink virtual machine disks.
- Strawberry Perl - for Windows
- Ventoy - Boot ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.) from a USB stick. Installs into just the MBR. To add an ISO you just copy it to the USB and no extra config steps.
- TrueCrypt - Disk encryption. R.I.P. Use VeraCrypt instead.
- VideoLan - Plays every media type
- WinSCP - Great tool for doing SFTP and FTP transfers. Also supports recursive auto-sync from local to remote.