HTC Hero phone will not mount as usb drive
Last Modified: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:37:06 +0000 ; Created: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 16:37:06 +0000
So Windows 7 (and reported Vista) (tested 64-bit) have an issue where the Windows Updates detects that there is an updated "HTC Dream" driver when your phone is plugged in via usb cable.
Thing is if you install that driver your HTC Hero will no longer mount as a USB Mass Storage Device (drive letter).
- Plug in the phone via usb
- On the phone mount the device as a usb drive
- Now open device manager
- Right click My Computer
- Device Manager in the list
- Look for an entry near the top named APT (ATP) ...
- Expand that tree entry
- Look for HTC Dream
- Right click, Uninstall
- Check the checkbox to delete the driver files
- Do the uninstall
- Unplug the phone
- Plug in the phone
- On the phone mount it as USB
- It will now show up as a drive again