||"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code" - unknown
My Favorite Free Software - Last Modified 2014-09-25 19:56 UTC - Created 2010-12-06 03:00 UTC
- 7-Zip - Fastest archive program, smallest 7z archive, supports AES256 encryption
- Aria 2 - Nice alternative to wget and cross-platform compliant. Also supports download acceleration through splitting. I use aria2c -s 10 -j 10 -x 10 URL for my options.
- Crystal Disk Mark - Good for benchmarking drive performance in Windows. Good for both SSD and mechanical tests
- Eraser - Wipes free space on disk drives or securely deletes individual files. For USB/SSD the free space wipe works, but I'm not sure about single file deletes.
- FileZilla - 2014-07 INSTALLED LOADED WITH AD-WARE AND JUNK, use WinSCP instead. - SFTP and FTP transfers with SSH key pair support and proxy support. Doesn't have auto-sync recursive like WinSCP.
- Free Download Manager - Faster downloads with resume support. Works with Google Chrome too.
- Google Chrome - Standalone or offline installer
- Google System Tray - Notifies of new e-mails, calendar events, etc. Google Talk always ate up 100% CPU, Google Notifier never remembered my login. This one is much better and supports regular Google accounts and Google Apps accounts.
- HandBrake - Nice video format conversion software
- iPhone Backup Viewer - Useful for dumping all the raw content of iMessage SMS MMS photo and video attachments all at once from an iTunes backup
- HxD - Hex editor
- ImDisk - GPLv2 Free Ram Disk that works in Windows 7 64-bit and many other Windows versions
- InfraRecorder - Create DVD/CD images and burn them
- http://www.offisync.com/ - Allows you to open Google Docs (and Google Apps) in Microsoft Office. It downloads and uploads automatically.
- md5deep - Hash program for Windows or Linux
- Notepad++ - Useful text editor especially when you add the Hex editor plugin
- Plop Bootmanager - Allows you to boot from USB by using a CD or ISO
- PDFCreator - Print to PDF from any application. Save dialog is nicer than CutePDF. Like CutePDF has adware in the installer so you have to be careful during the install. WARNING - Has Ad Ware in installer - I haven't found any free solutions that don't have adware in the installer now.
- PopMan - E-mail notification in system tray. Supports IMAP and is the only one I could get to work well.
- PuTTY - SSH client or raw COM port
- SDelete - A free tool from Microsoft that is useful for zero filling free space. Very useful for preparing to shrink virtual machine disks.
- Strawberry Perl - for Windows
- TrueCrypt - Disk encryption. R.I.P.
- VideoLan - Plays every media type
- WinSCP - Great tool for doing SFTP and FTP transfers. Also supports recursive auto-sync from local to remote.