||"I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code" - unknown
My Favorite Free Software - Last Modified 2012-11-16 21:42 UTC - Created 2010-12-06 03:00 UTC
- Aria 2 - Nice alternative to wget and cross-platform compliant. Also supports download acceleration through splitting. I use aria2c -s 10 -j 10 -x 10 URL for my options.
- CrashPlan - It has both free and paid online backup. I use the free functionality that lets me backup data automatically to a friend's computer. You just install the software on each PC and type in a friend's code to connect them. Nice solution for off-site backups of large amounts of data without monthly costs.
- Crystal Disk Mark - Good for benchmarking drive performance in Windows. Good for both SSD and mechanical tests
- Eraser - Wipes free space on disk drives or securely deletes individual files. For USB/SSD the free space wipe works, but I'm not sure about single file deletes.
- Free Download Manager - Faster downloads with resume support. Works with Google Chrome too.
- Google System Tray - Notifies of new e-mails, calendar events, etc. Google Talk always ate up 100% CPU, Google Notifier never remembered my login. This one is much better and supports regular Google accounts and Google Apps accounts.
- ImDisk - GPLv2 Free Ram Disk that works in Windows 7 64-bit and many other Windows versions
- InfraRecorder - Create DVD/CD images and burn them
- http://www.offisync.com/ - Allows you to open Google Docs (and Google Apps) in Microsoft Office. It downloads and uploads automatically.
- Notepad++ - Useful text editor especially when you add the Hex editor plugin
- Plop Bootmanager - Allows you to boot from USB by using a CD or ISO
- PDFCreator - Print to PDF from any application. Save dialog is nicer than CutePDF
- PopMan - E-mail notification in system tray. Supports IMAP and is the only one I could get to work well.
- SDelete - A free tool from Microsoft that is useful for zero filling free space. Very useful for preparing to shrink virtual machine disks.
- WinSCP - Great tool for doing SFTP and FTP transfers. Also supports recursive auto-sync from local to remote.